Home » News » Public Safety
Authorities test fox for rabies after it bit 5-year-old girl
This fox was euthanized after it bit a 5-year-old girl on the ankle at a local playground. It is being tested for rabies by New Hampshire Fish and Game, according to Derry police. (Courtesy)
The girl was bitten by the fox at Don Ball Park on Humphrey Road. She sustained minor injuries in the attack and was taken to Parkland Medical Center, Derry police Capt. Vern Thomas said Friday. Police were not releasing her name.
The incident was the second one in two days as police also received a report of an aggressive fox on Wednesday night on Schurman Drive, Thomas said. No injuries were reported in that incident in which a fox chased a 9-year-old boy as he was playing in his backyard at 9 Schurman Drive. At one point the fox knocked the boy to the ground, Thomas said. The boy's mother, who saw the incident, swung a shovel at the fox, causing it to run off and not return, according to police.
As he watched his 4-year-old daughter play at Don Ball Park on Friday afternoon, Rich Ring said he had brought her to the park Thursday night but saw that it was closed and left. After hearing the fox had been captured and euthanized, Ring said the incident was over and the park was safe again for his daughter and other children. So, he decided to bring his daughter back on Friday.
"It's happening no matter where you go," Ring said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate