Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
Aug 14, 2014
Jul 24, 2014
Ex-Salem cop indicted for assault of pursuit suspect
Joseph Freda, 33, of Salem, is facing two counts of simple assault by an on-duty law enforcement officer for allegedly striking Thomas Templeton in the head with a flashlight on Oct. 6, according to state prosecutors.
A grand jury returned the indictments against Freda in Rockingham County Superior Court.
The indictments come just days after Templeton, 40, of York, Maine, pleaded guilty to reckless conduct and a misdemeanor resisting arrest charge.
Prosecutors say the assault happened moments after a state trooper and Windham police sergeant had arrested Templeton after a high-speed pursuit.
Templeton drove along Veterans Memorial Parkway in Salem in the opposite lane, and later onto Main Street where he was apprehended in a wooded area near the Massachusetts state line by state and local police, according to court records.
Freda was fired by the town on Jan. 21. He has pleaded not guilty and remains free on bail. He will be arraigned on the charges April 24 in superior court.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
- Newport shooting victim in stable but critical condition - 0
- Nashua arrests 9 on drug warrants - 0
- Police: Nashua man in car targeted by gunfire was felon with gun - 0
- Man shot at in Nashua drive-by charged with unrelated possession of stolen gun - 0
- NH Supreme Court rules 4 teen killers entitled to sentencing hearings - 6
- Hampton woman who fatally struck pedestrian wants blood test thrown out of court - 0
- Man seeks to upend conviction in Deerfield home invasion case - 0
- Police say North Hampton man distributed child sex abuse images - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Lakes Region Casino for sale last two months; asking price $3.5 million, manager says - 0
- Hudson police warn of cars being broken into - 0
Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test
- Total Votes: 917