Deroy Murdock: Wisconsin's Scott Walker calmly leads the way
. A stalwart commitment to fiscal conservatism and limited government. Walker warmly invokes his state constitution's Frugality Clause: "It is through frugality and moderation in government that we will see freedom and prosperity for our people." Walker's book, "Unintimidated," (with Marc Thiessen) approvingly cites Ronald Reagan, Margaret Thatcher, and Milton Friedman.
Walker led an epic struggle to reform collective bargaining and end automatic deduction of union dues from state employees' paychecks. These modernizations have reduced labor costs and boosted flexibility from Madison to city halls across Wisconsin. With union membership now voluntary, thousands are staying away. AFSCME Council 48 has plunged from 9,043 members in 2011 to 3,498 today - down 61.3 percent.
He also has restructured Medicaid, expanded school choice, signed voter ID legislation, and required childless Food Stamp recipients to enroll in job training. "We're not making it harder to get government assistance," Walker said. "We're making it easier to get a job."
Well, Mr. Charisma inhabits the White House right now. How's that working out for us?
Deroy Murdock is a Manhattan-based Fox News contributor and a media fellow with the Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace at Stanford University.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Another View -- Cass Sunstein: A salute to the graceful silence of George W. Bush - 7
- David Harsanyi : Run, Liz, run! - 16
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 43
- Another View -- Harold Meyerson: The right underestimates Elizabeth Warren's appeal - 39
- Jonah Goldberg: There was a time when we stood up to threats against free speech - 2
- Why I voted against the 'CRomnibus' spending bill - 20
- Another View -- Devon Chaffee: Why interrogators believe America should never torture - 2
- David Harsanyi: GOP establishment, stop whining - 0
- John Stossel: Individual giving beats government giving - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads