Deroy Murdock: Wisconsin's Scott Walker calmly leads the way
. A stalwart commitment to fiscal conservatism and limited government. Walker warmly invokes his state constitution's Frugality Clause: "It is through frugality and moderation in government that we will see freedom and prosperity for our people." Walker's book, "Unintimidated," (with Marc Thiessen) approvingly cites Ronald Reagan, Margaret Thatcher, and Milton Friedman.
Walker led an epic struggle to reform collective bargaining and end automatic deduction of union dues from state employees' paychecks. These modernizations have reduced labor costs and boosted flexibility from Madison to city halls across Wisconsin. With union membership now voluntary, thousands are staying away. AFSCME Council 48 has plunged from 9,043 members in 2011 to 3,498 today - down 61.3 percent.
He also has restructured Medicaid, expanded school choice, signed voter ID legislation, and required childless Food Stamp recipients to enroll in job training. "We're not making it harder to get government assistance," Walker said. "We're making it easier to get a job."
Well, Mr. Charisma inhabits the White House right now. How's that working out for us?
Deroy Murdock is a Manhattan-based Fox News contributor and a media fellow with the Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace at Stanford University.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Pipeline's NH route moves to top choice - 5
- Peterborough receives EPA ‘green power’ award - 0
- Work on largest solar project in state begins in Peterborough - 0
- 24-mile transmission line project could begin in late 2016 - 0
- Conflict rises over Millsfield agreement with wind farm - 0
- New Hampshire's energy future in 'crisis' - 53
- Gas pipeline talk in southern NH surprises many officials in towns by alternative route - 1
- Wind-power developer eyes Alexandria area again - 2
- Keystone bill passes U.S. House - 42
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Monarchs Scouting Report: Nick Shore - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 4
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 5
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 1
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 14
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.