Deroy Murdock: Wisconsin's Scott Walker calmly leads the way
. A stalwart commitment to fiscal conservatism and limited government. Walker warmly invokes his state constitution's Frugality Clause: "It is through frugality and moderation in government that we will see freedom and prosperity for our people." Walker's book, "Unintimidated," (with Marc Thiessen) approvingly cites Ronald Reagan, Margaret Thatcher, and Milton Friedman.
Walker led an epic struggle to reform collective bargaining and end automatic deduction of union dues from state employees' paychecks. These modernizations have reduced labor costs and boosted flexibility from Madison to city halls across Wisconsin. With union membership now voluntary, thousands are staying away. AFSCME Council 48 has plunged from 9,043 members in 2011 to 3,498 today - down 61.3 percent.
He also has restructured Medicaid, expanded school choice, signed voter ID legislation, and required childless Food Stamp recipients to enroll in job training. "We're not making it harder to get government assistance," Walker said. "We're making it easier to get a job."
Well, Mr. Charisma inhabits the White House right now. How's that working out for us?
Deroy Murdock is a Manhattan-based Fox News contributor and a media fellow with the Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace at Stanford University.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Volunteers collect items for Haitian hospital chapel - 0
- Manchester's Holy Family Academy named School of Excellence - 0
- Weare teen to compete in Bible bee - 0
- More churches reporting scam - 0
- Bishop of Rochester, N.Y., will be homilist for annual Red Mass - 0
- Religion Briefs: Divorce and separation support group meets in Goffstown - 0
- Annual dedication of Starr Memorial Garden scheduled - 0
- Bethany Covenant Church in Bedford celebrates 125 years, looks toward future - 0
- Season of Epsom Bible Church AWANA Clubs to begin - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem