Belmont students consider dropping 'offensive' mascot
The Belmont High School Red Raiders logo (DAN SEUFERT PHOTO)
NH school nicknames with Native American connotationsNative American nicknames in NH
Belmont: Red Raiders
Colebrook Academy: Mohawks
Spaulding: Red Raiders
Source: NH Interscholastic Athletic Association 2013-14 Handbook
Students and teachers at Belmont High in the school's hallways on Monday said some students want to drop the word "red" from Red Raiders.
Superintendent Maria Dreyer said the issue has been brought up twice before. About 12 years ago, the school debated changing the name, but settled instead on changing the logo, replacing a Native American face with "more of a contemporary face, a figure of a face."
"It should be a very interesting discussion; these are very thoughtful and active students," Dreyer said.
Dreyer said Belmont High School students, alumni, and teachers are not being purposely disrespectful to Native Americans.
Brett Sottaks, a member of the Belmont High Class of 1988 and the coach of the school's baseball team from 1999-2010, said the founders of the school named the mascot with complete respect to local American Indians.
"I'm proud to be a Red Raider," he said. "I am completely against a name change."
Marc Forgione Sr. is a board member of Friends of Belmont Football, an organization devoted to finding a place for student athletes attending Belmont High School to play football. He agrees with Sottaks.
"Being from Laconia, my opinion is that it's ridiculous to be offended by something that's meant to honor the local heritage, whether it's a 'Red Raider' or a 'Sachem.' We should be focusing on bigger issues, like getting a football team in Belmont," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester school exec contract squeaks by - 9
- Milford road reopening could improve traffic flow - 0
- Town Hall hours in Salem up for debate - 0
- Coos County tax bills headed to unincorporated places - 0
- Tentative deal for old Manchester police station - 4
- Utility pole licensing changes could raise rates in Derry - 0
- Derry councilor wants to begin budget discussion - 0
- Major development approved in Merrimack - 1
- Weare residents turn out to discuss police department concerns - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
- Dave Solomon's Power Plays: Who knew what and when in PSNH scrubber case? - 0
- Story of Marine Memorial at Hampton Beach begins with Bill Downs - 0
- Immigrants include ethnic dishes at their Thanksgiving table - 0
- Puritans in America: Daniel Webster on religion's role - 0
- Mitt Romney is out front, but says he's not running again - 0
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
Person found dead in Manchester alley