Poll: More than 25% haven't heard of Northern Pass; mixed attitudes for others
"Attitudes remain mixed," according to the most recent Granite State Poll, commissioned by WMUR and conducted by the University of New Hampshire Survey Center.
The "not familiar at all" number is the highest it has been since the UNH Survey Center began to poll on the topic in April 2011, when 35 percent said they knew little or nothing about the project.
"Support and opposition to the Northern Pass has remained remarkably stable over the past three years," the survey reports. "The strongest support comes from the Manchester area (53 percent support), while the strongest opposition comes from North Country residents (74 percent oppose)."
A spokesperson for Northeast Utilities, chief sponsor of the project in partnership with HydroQuebec, cheered the poll results as showing an increase in support.
"The need to develop new sources of energy is clear, not only because of the volatility and high prices from this winter, but also due to the impending retirements of thousands of megawatts of power plants we all rely on to keep the lights on," said Skelton. "ISO-New England (the grid operator) has warned that 8,000 megawatts of generation is at risk of retirement by 2020."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New superintendent named in Lebanon - 0
- Board of Ed finds in favor of Goffstown; Dunbarton plans Supreme Court appeal - 2
- Tech conference sparks ideas and imagination - 0
- Nashua assessment tests miss the mark - 1
- St. A's board of trustees responds to criticism of graduation change - 2
- Officials proposing cutting Derry school budget by $1.4 million - 0
- St. Anselm in a stir over graduation date change - 13
- Nashua schools struggle to find more time for middle-school math - 0
- Former Gov. Lynch chosen for PSU Robert Frost award - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pinkerton community excited about relationship with Google - 0
- OKC outguns Bonner, Spurs - 0
- Schaller sent back to minors - 0
- Mount Sunapee plan opponents want more hearings - 0
- Former Colonial Theatre finance director indicted - 0
- Circut Court Judge refuses to recuse himself from hearings - 0
- Pipeline push gets a second wind - 0
- Newbies welcome on NH slopes - 0
- Troy welfare officer indicted for misusing town’s money - 0
Murder suspect fit for trial?
'Interview' buzz spreads to NH
Pipeline push gets a second wind
Win tickets to see Linkin Park