Poll: More than 25% haven't heard of Northern Pass; mixed attitudes for others
"Attitudes remain mixed," according to the most recent Granite State Poll, commissioned by WMUR and conducted by the University of New Hampshire Survey Center.
The "not familiar at all" number is the highest it has been since the UNH Survey Center began to poll on the topic in April 2011, when 35 percent said they knew little or nothing about the project.
"Support and opposition to the Northern Pass has remained remarkably stable over the past three years," the survey reports. "The strongest support comes from the Manchester area (53 percent support), while the strongest opposition comes from North Country residents (74 percent oppose)."
A spokesperson for Northeast Utilities, chief sponsor of the project in partnership with HydroQuebec, cheered the poll results as showing an increase in support.
"The need to develop new sources of energy is clear, not only because of the volatility and high prices from this winter, but also due to the impending retirements of thousands of megawatts of power plants we all rely on to keep the lights on," said Skelton. "ISO-New England (the grid operator) has warned that 8,000 megawatts of generation is at risk of retirement by 2020."
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- State asked to re-evaluate Livermore Falls settlement deal - 0
- Livermore 'friends' pleased with potential settlement from Groton Wind project - 1
- Groton Wind sound tests pass muster for committee - 1
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 2
- Lundberg survey says gas prices fall as refinery output rises - 0
- Peterborough OKs state's largest solar array project - 0
- Settlement reached between Groton Wind and state AG's office - 1
- Peterborough makes plans for state's largest solar array - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Tuition tax credits make a return