Poll: More than 25% haven't heard of Northern Pass; mixed attitudes for others
"Attitudes remain mixed," according to the most recent Granite State Poll, commissioned by WMUR and conducted by the University of New Hampshire Survey Center.
The "not familiar at all" number is the highest it has been since the UNH Survey Center began to poll on the topic in April 2011, when 35 percent said they knew little or nothing about the project.
"Support and opposition to the Northern Pass has remained remarkably stable over the past three years," the survey reports. "The strongest support comes from the Manchester area (53 percent support), while the strongest opposition comes from North Country residents (74 percent oppose)."
A spokesperson for Northeast Utilities, chief sponsor of the project in partnership with HydroQuebec, cheered the poll results as showing an increase in support.
"The need to develop new sources of energy is clear, not only because of the volatility and high prices from this winter, but also due to the impending retirements of thousands of megawatts of power plants we all rely on to keep the lights on," said Skelton. "ISO-New England (the grid operator) has warned that 8,000 megawatts of generation is at risk of retirement by 2020."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bracing for the heating season throughout New Hampshire - 1
- Firewood scarcity driven by demand throughout NH - 2
- Hopkinton wood program is neighbor to neighbor - 0
- Fire marshal OKs Groton Wind operations after deeming facility safe - 0
- Northeast natural gas at decade high on winter supply concern - 1
- Developer granted permit for wind tower in Alexandria - 3
- Hanover project seeks to increase solar installations - 1
- UPDATED: Regulators OK 47 percent rate hike for Liberty Utilities customers - 15
- Developer says Alexandria wrong to deny tower - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- GT Advanced Technology attorney hoping for Apple agreement today to allow more openness in bankruptcy court - 0
- Nashua caretaker wants evidence suppressed in sexual assault case - 0
- Former coach from Nashua charged in sex assaults claims confession was involuntary - 0
- NH highways have potentialy deadly guardrail end pieces, transportation commissioner says - 0
- Neighbor won't be charged in shooting death of Rumney chiropractor - 9
- Staples says it is probing possible payment card data breach - 0
- Manchester police: Ga. man stole truck in Mass. to visit mom in NH - 0
- South African Olympian Pistorius sentenced to five years in girlfriend's murder - 0
- Expect the unexpected in NHIAA field hockey tourneys - 0
A series of sharp exchanges at 2nd CD debate
Murder-suicide ruled in Fremont deaths
Keene police working to identify rioters, notify other colleges of students' participation
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar