Manchester settles with federal civil rights agency over minority students in advanced courses
Superintendent Debra Livingston told the board that under the agreement with the OCR, the district would be collecting data and taking specific steps to reach out to minority students.
Alim Yai, a student at Manchester High School West, said families, particularly refugees and other immigrants, often don't know how to navigate high school and what comes after graduation.
"I feel pretty strongly about this," he said.
"My wife is Latino. She's originally from South America. She's never felt discriminated against by the Manchester School District, just the opposite. My children are of Latino descent. In fact, my daughter is in level 4 classes. She's going to be taking AP classes next year."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- $11 million requested for priority city school projects - 1
- Berlin considers synthetic marijuana ban - 1
- New year could bring higher costs for members of Claremont Community Center - 0
- Retirement system ruling gets thumbs up from Moody's - 4
- Rates for Hudson recreation programs may be increasing - 0
- Hudson selectmen approve ambulance fee increases - 0
- Derry Council revises tax cut goal - 0
- Londonderry board rejects workforce housing variances - 0
- Derry Administrator opposes council goal of cutting Derry tax rate - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: The fiscal mismanagement in Washington is a choice - 0
- 'Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Palker hat trick paces Bedford triumph - 0
- Police look for Laconia sub shop robber - 0
- Furious Celtics' rally falls short - 0
- Bruins stop Predators, 5-3 - 0
- Former President Bush, 90, hospitalized in Texas - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Slandering police: Racism in reverse
Police look for Laconia sub shop robber
Win tickets to see Linkin Park