Manchester settles with federal civil rights agency over minority students in advanced courses
Superintendent Debra Livingston told the board that under the agreement with the OCR, the district would be collecting data and taking specific steps to reach out to minority students.
Alim Yai, a student at Manchester High School West, said families, particularly refugees and other immigrants, often don't know how to navigate high school and what comes after graduation.
"I feel pretty strongly about this," he said.
"My wife is Latino. She's originally from South America. She's never felt discriminated against by the Manchester School District, just the opposite. My children are of Latino descent. In fact, my daughter is in level 4 classes. She's going to be taking AP classes next year."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 5
- Pinkerton: 'No surprises' on first day with additional Hooksett students - 1
- Manchester Youth Leadership Academy will start Sept. 23 - 0
- New school year kicks off in style in Wilton/Lyndeborough - 0
- PSU recognizes 3 professors for their scholarship, service - 0
- Unity Elementary School off to late start - 0
- La. Gov. Jindal files federal lawsuit over Common Core - 0
- Central High parents reminded to use caution when dropping kids off - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Franklin Pierce's Kirsh to retire as AD - 0
- UNH Wildcat gridders can't stop Toledo, 54-20 - 0
- UNH Wildcats volleyball looking forward to good season - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats' cuts hold few surprises - 0
- New-look Boston Red Sox taking test run - 0
- NH Fisher Cats bats silenced in Conn., in 3-1 loss - 0
- Boston Red Sox limited to one hit in loss to Tampa Bay, 7-0 - 0
- Donald Trump to headline 1st Amendment event in NH - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Drivers education to science, meeting all about the kids - 0
Mount Washington Auto Road to host largest gathering of alternative-energy based vehicles in North America