Manchester settles with federal civil rights agency over minority students in advanced courses
Superintendent Debra Livingston told the board that under the agreement with the OCR, the district would be collecting data and taking specific steps to reach out to minority students.
Alim Yai, a student at Manchester High School West, said families, particularly refugees and other immigrants, often don't know how to navigate high school and what comes after graduation.
"I feel pretty strongly about this," he said.
"My wife is Latino. She's originally from South America. She's never felt discriminated against by the Manchester School District, just the opposite. My children are of Latino descent. In fact, my daughter is in level 4 classes. She's going to be taking AP classes next year."
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Manchester makes move to outsource student driver education program - 3
- Nashua education board chair concerned about test scores - 0
- Dartmouth scholar to co-lead Arctic initiative - 0
- Manchester school health costs down, but plans called 'generous' - 0
- Manchester school board reaffirms 'get tough' policy for student assaults - 3
- Pinkerton Academy to issue refunds to sending towns - 0
- New Boston firefighters share safety tips with elementary school students - 0
- Public hearing on proposed school bonds - 1
- Crotched Mtn. school suit alleges abuse - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Cross Country: Moskowitz, Kimball primed for Meet of Champions battle - 0
- Salem coach Rich has seen playoff runs from both sidelines - 0
- Monarchs' Schultz leads by example - 0
- Manchester Marathon day to draw about 1,700 runners - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Londonderry vs. Salem is a playoff contest - 0
- Another View - Jeanne Shaheen: What it means to put New Hampshire first - 2
- Another View -- Scott Brown: To change direction, we need to change senators - 6
- Patricia LaFrance: For Hillsborough County Attorney - 1
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 5
Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four