Manchester settles with federal civil rights agency over minority students in advanced courses
Superintendent Debra Livingston told the board that under the agreement with the OCR, the district would be collecting data and taking specific steps to reach out to minority students.
Alim Yai, a student at Manchester High School West, said families, particularly refugees and other immigrants, often don't know how to navigate high school and what comes after graduation.
"I feel pretty strongly about this," he said.
"My wife is Latino. She's originally from South America. She's never felt discriminated against by the Manchester School District, just the opposite. My children are of Latino descent. In fact, my daughter is in level 4 classes. She's going to be taking AP classes next year."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester school exec contract squeaks by - 9
- Milford road reopening could improve traffic flow - 0
- Town Hall hours in Salem up for debate - 0
- Coos County tax bills headed to unincorporated places - 0
- Tentative deal for old Manchester police station - 4
- Utility pole licensing changes could raise rates in Derry - 0
- Derry councilor wants to begin budget discussion - 0
- Major development approved in Merrimack - 1
- Weare residents turn out to discuss police department concerns - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
- Dave Solomon's Power Plays: Who knew what and when in PSNH scrubber case? - 0
- Story of Marine Memorial at Hampton Beach begins with Bill Downs - 0
- Immigrants include ethnic dishes at their Thanksgiving table - 0
- Puritans in America: Daniel Webster on religion's role - 0
- Mitt Romney is out front, but says he's not running again - 0
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
Person found dead in Manchester alley