Flood watch and rain follow day of near-record temperatures
Gusting wind knocked down power lines and fueled brush fires across the Granite State in a prelude to a stormy week and perhaps a bit of snow in some northern areas.
Flooding is expected along rivers including the Connecticut and in urban areas where drainage can’t keep up with the volume of rain.
Curtis said Concord’s high of 79 degrees was the warmest of this year and slightly off the record of 84 degrees. Portsmouth, Nashua and Manchester each saw high temperatures of 78.
It was warm, but quite windy and the conditions kept firefighters and power crews busy.
Brush fires have been common in the past week or two as leaves on forest floors have dried enough to be quite flammable. On Monday, the conditions were worse, with wind gusts of 30 to 40 mph whipping up the flames in scattered brush fires in areas including Concord, Dunbarton, Deering and Dover.
The wind also caused scattered power outages when gusts were strong enough to knock down power lines.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Flash flood warning issued for Southern New Hampshire - 0
- Rare tornado touches down in Revere, Mass., no deaths reported - 0
- Severe weather strikes across Granite State - 0
- Restaurant foundation destabilized by high water raises Route 3 Bridge, downtown Colebrook flooding concerns - 0
- Winchester roads ravaged by heavy rain - 0
- Despite heavy rains, tornado warning, Nashua OK - 0
- Wild weather strikes Granite State - 0
- Perfect weather predicted for weekend events - 0
- NH braces for a soaker, flash floods as Arthur moves up coast - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Owner sought after fatal pitbull attack near Tuckerman Ravine - 0
- Big smiles as Market Basket customers and workers return - 1
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Patnode poised to win NH Weekly Series crown - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 1
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 9
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate