Rep. Adam Schroadter: Penalties for marijuana use in NH should fit the crime
The best argument for passing HB 1625 comes straight out of our New Hampshire Constitution. Part I, Article 18 says “all penalties ought to be proportioned to the nature of the offense.” In other words, the punishment ought to fit the crime.
If we as legislators ask the people who voted us into office, then according to several polls, the answer is that there should be no penalty at all. Polls have consistently found majority support for legalization, with opposition dwindling.
The bill also reduces other maximum penalties for amounts above one ounce, again, consistent with Article 18. Possession of up to six plants would remain a criminal offense, but it would be reduced from a felony to a Class A misdemeanor, which can still be punished by up to a year in jail. And although felony penalties would be maintained for the crime of selling marijuana, the maximum prison sentences would be reduced.
Adam Schroadter is a Republican state representative from Newmarket.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester school exec contract squeaks by - 9
- Milford road reopening could improve traffic flow - 0
- Town Hall hours in Salem up for debate - 0
- Coos County tax bills headed to unincorporated places - 0
- Tentative deal for old Manchester police station - 4
- Utility pole licensing changes could raise rates in Derry - 0
- Derry councilor wants to begin budget discussion - 0
- Major development approved in Merrimack - 1
- Weare residents turn out to discuss police department concerns - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats put selves in strong position - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
- Dave Solomon's Power Plays: Who knew what and when in PSNH scrubber case? - 0
- Story of Marine Memorial at Hampton Beach begins with Bill Downs - 0
- Immigrants include ethnic dishes at their Thanksgiving table - 0
- Puritans in America: Daniel Webster on religion's role - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record