Manchester Cub Scout robotics team making plans for world championship
MANCHESTER — Members of St. Anthony Cub Scout Pack 118, whose VEX IQ robotics team has qualified to participate in a world championship competition in California next week, are regional winners in the first year of the program.
There is also an online site for fundraising at GoFundMe.com/7gupsg.
Growth of the VEX robotics competition in the upper grades has been explosive and New Hampshire teams are competitive. This year, 10 New Hampshire high school VEX teams are headed to Anaheim, having won just shy of half of the 21 slots allotted to the New England region.
Dan Larochelle, who organizes all the VEX and VEX IQ tournaments in New England and New York, said he gives out grants to start new teams and new events all over New England.
The teams in the VEX IQ Challenge can also be of any size, even a whole classroom can be a team. They can be from schools or home school groups, they can be from youth organizations, or even a group of friends.The foundation seeks to increase student interest and involvement in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) by engaging students in hands-on sustainable and affordable curriculum-based robotics engineering programs across the U.S. and internationally.The VEX Robotics competitions are one way to engage youngsters and sustain their interest and Dan Larochelle says the growth in teams shows it's working.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua fourth-graders show significant gains in science - 0
- UNH math professor earns prestigious MacArthur Fellowship - 0
- School emergency notification system to launch in Londonderry - 0
- New Nashua computer curriculum stresses exam, lifetime skills - 0
- Manchester teachers to hold 2nd contract vote following voting hours complaints - 26
- Alton educator selected as NH Teacher of the Year - 0
- USNH: Restore funding and we'll freeze tuition - 5
- Manchester, Hooksett will resume schools conversation - 2
- River Valley Community College planning for new president's inauguration - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it - 2
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Chester deputy fire chief jailed for allegedly violating restraining order - 1
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over