Manchester Cub Scout robotics team making plans for world championship
MANCHESTER — Members of St. Anthony Cub Scout Pack 118, whose VEX IQ robotics team has qualified to participate in a world championship competition in California next week, are regional winners in the first year of the program.
There is also an online site for fundraising at GoFundMe.com/7gupsg.
Growth of the VEX robotics competition in the upper grades has been explosive and New Hampshire teams are competitive. This year, 10 New Hampshire high school VEX teams are headed to Anaheim, having won just shy of half of the 21 slots allotted to the New England region.
Dan Larochelle, who organizes all the VEX and VEX IQ tournaments in New England and New York, said he gives out grants to start new teams and new events all over New England.
The teams in the VEX IQ Challenge can also be of any size, even a whole classroom can be a team. They can be from schools or home school groups, they can be from youth organizations, or even a group of friends.The foundation seeks to increase student interest and involvement in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) by engaging students in hands-on sustainable and affordable curriculum-based robotics engineering programs across the U.S. and internationally.The VEX Robotics competitions are one way to engage youngsters and sustain their interest and Dan Larochelle says the growth in teams shows it's working.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Library namesake rescued from the vault: Elenora Blood Carpenter gets her rightful place - 2
- Roadside directives aren't always as helpful as they should be - 1
- Immigrants include ethnic dishes at their Thanksgiving table - 0
- A Deep South college town carries his name, but NH's general is no local fixture - 2
- After the election is over, the signs remain - 4
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Shelters provide stable places to rebuild lives - 0
- School's out for voters - 3
- How stable is this telephone pole? - 0
- Tenants, landlords trumped by persistent bedbugs - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads