Manchester Cub Scout robotics team making plans for world championship
MANCHESTER — Members of St. Anthony Cub Scout Pack 118, whose VEX IQ robotics team has qualified to participate in a world championship competition in California next week, are regional winners in the first year of the program.
There is also an online site for fundraising at GoFundMe.com/7gupsg.
Growth of the VEX robotics competition in the upper grades has been explosive and New Hampshire teams are competitive. This year, 10 New Hampshire high school VEX teams are headed to Anaheim, having won just shy of half of the 21 slots allotted to the New England region.
Dan Larochelle, who organizes all the VEX and VEX IQ tournaments in New England and New York, said he gives out grants to start new teams and new events all over New England.
The teams in the VEX IQ Challenge can also be of any size, even a whole classroom can be a team. They can be from schools or home school groups, they can be from youth organizations, or even a group of friends.The foundation seeks to increase student interest and involvement in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) by engaging students in hands-on sustainable and affordable curriculum-based robotics engineering programs across the U.S. and internationally.The VEX Robotics competitions are one way to engage youngsters and sustain their interest and Dan Larochelle says the growth in teams shows it's working.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Manchester middle school principal accused of chokehold cleared, back to work - 3
- Manchester makes move to outsource student driver education program - 3
- Nashua education board chair concerned about test scores - 0
- Dartmouth scholar to co-lead Arctic initiative - 0
- Manchester school health costs down, but plans called 'generous' - 0
- Manchester school board reaffirms 'get tough' policy for student assaults - 3
- Pinkerton Academy to issue refunds to sending towns - 0
- New Boston firefighters share safety tips with elementary school students - 0
- Public hearing on proposed school bonds - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- 'Bingo hunting' police use random license plate checks to make arrest - 0
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0