Home » News » Public Safety
Barrington home destroyed in two-alarm blaze
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded around 8:10 p.m. after a resident, who was sleeping on a couch, woke up in a smoke-filled room and discovered the kitchen was on fire at 375 Green Hill Road.
With only the clothes on his back, the man escaped the burning home via a window, according to Fire Chief Rick Walker.
Walker said firefighters were able to respond with four engines – including one from Rochester – in about five minutes.
“We had a crew here at the station doing some training,” Walker said.
When firefighters arrived, heavy fire was showing from the rear of the first and second floors. A second alarm was immediately called, Walker said, bringing more water and firefighters to the scene.
Walker said firefighters from Madbury and Strafford, local ambulance crews and police from Barrington and Strafford also assisted at the scene. He said Lee firefighters provided station coverage.
Within an hour, Walker said firefighters had the fire under control, but the single-family home was destroyed. He added the fire was concentrated in the kitchen area and the bedroom, but the rest of the home sustained heavy smoke and water damage.
"It's a total loss," Walker said, who noted no one was injured.
Walker said firefighters remained on scene until about 11 p.m. and returned during the night to ensure the fire did not rekindle.
Due to the extensive damage, Walker said firefighters believe the fire began in the kitchen.
“We’re still looking at it,” Walker said, adding investigators believe the fire was accidental.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 5
- One-alarm fire kept to chimney area of Bridgewater home - 0
- Nashua woman hurt in Pelham crash - 0
- Man hurt in fall from tree stand in Swanzey - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- State House Dome: Just past Concord session a mixed bag - 0
- Monarchs squeak by Bruins - 0
- Memorial hockey shuts out Trinity - 0
- Dover's Parratto a national champion - 0
- UNH defense comes up big against Redbirds - 0
- St. Anselm men knock off Post - 0
- Leadership, defense made Katie Bishop, of Conway, an All-American - 0
- Jet menace faltered under Rex - 0
- Strong start lifts Bedford to win - 0
UNH loses to Illinois State
Nashua police left rattled by tot's death
A new era for Nashua's police force
Haylee Ann-Marie Patten