Transition to new grading system continues in Nashua
Students who are struggling with any particular required competency will have the chance to make up work with a teacher during the new E-Block, a 35-minute period built into each school day that allows time for remedial work. Students who are on target with all competencies in all courses will be able to use the E-Block for enrichment projects and activities.
Kelly Holmes, head of the Science Department at South, said student grades will be a more accurate reflection of their accomplishments.
Some BOE members have questioned if the new system will require hiring a significant number of new teachers to help students achieve passing scores with different competencies, and BOE chairman George Farrington questioned how much the new system would added to the ever-expanding workload on teachers.
“And I don’t think you want the data on how hard teachers work,” he told the board. “It would be scary.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Three named to Manchester school posts - 0
- Derry Early Education Program to relocate - 0
- Manchester panel OKs new academic standards, despite Common Core criticism - 2
- Nashua school staff see tests as key to tracking student growth - 0
- Two Manchester schools off 'priority' list - 0
- Nashua officials seek advice on issue of student cellphone searches vs. privacy - 9
- Manchester school district makes bid to run Job Corps center - 2
- NEASC votes to reaccredit Central High - 1
- Londonderry school policy updates sought - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 1
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Market Basket community waits and watches
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Punch line: The NFL blows it
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'