Home » News » Public Safety
2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest
It seeks unspecified damages against Weare officers Kenneth Cox and Kimberly McSweeney.
Afterward, the suit claims, the two officers arranged to destroy security video of the incident and compared notes so that their "untruthful versions" of events would "be consistent with one another."
The town is accused of failing to properly supervise Cox and McSweeney. The complaint filed by Epsom attorney Tony Soltani accuses the town of having a policy of retaliating against superior officers who initiate internal investigations into police conduct and that "thereby the officers are encouraged to disobey supervisory and command personnel and are free to do as they please while violating the citizens' rights."
Cox, who currently holds the rank of sergeant, has been identified through payroll records as one of the officers involved in an incident that culminated in the fatal shooting of accused Manchester drug dealer Alex Cora DeJesus last August.
The New Hampshire Attorney General's Office has a policy of keeping secret the names of police officers involved in shootings while it investigates the circumstances.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride