Officer says video of snowmobilers' moose meeting shows what not to do
This image taken from video shows a moose charging Bob Powell of Belmont. (Janis Powell via wcsh6.com)
Janis and Bob Powell of Belmont on Friday posted a two-minute YouTube video of the scary incident, which happened while they were riding snowmobiles in Jackman, Maine. By early Saturday evening, the video had gotten more than 5,200 views.
Watch the video for yourself:
Juneau said encountering moose on snowmobile trails in wilderness areas is common. But he said riders need to respect the size and speed of these animals and keep their distance.
Juneau said the riders were lucky to have escaped unharmed; there were no trees nearby that could have served as barriers to a charging moose.
"These animals, they look large, they look clumsy, but they are amazingly fast," he said. "And those legs are extremely heavy and extremely powerful. It wouldn't take much of a blow to really cause injury to a human."
"It had come out onto the trail, and we followed it a ways expecting it to get off the trail any time, which normally happens when we come across them."
"What happens is that they stop and look at us, so we go, then they go, and it repeats, sometimes for miles on end," they wrote. "Believe me, we'll be keeping much more distance in the future."
If a rider becomes aware of an animal on a trail, Juneau said, "try and slowly retreat, possibly raising your arms in the air to make yourself appear bigger. Just try to seek cover and remove yourself."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown selectmen nix driveway repavement permit fee - 0
- Salem zoning board seeks to add alternate member - 0
- Salem selectmen seek to restore funding - 0
- Lumberjack show to raise funds for Hudson Historical Society - 0
- Peterborough Community Theatre celebrates 100th birthday - 0
- Londonderry family finds love, support while grieving - 0
- Merrimack's Boston Post Cane holder dies at 100 - 0
- Robin Williams memorial in Keene grows, but should it end? - 0
- NH High School Bass Fishing Tournaments Set for Oct. 2, Oct. 4 - 0
Win tickets to see Comedian Bob Marley
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Report on Manchester schools cites falling test scores, higher dropout rates among ongoing challenges
Obama to make statement after airstrikes against Islamic State, White House official says