Officer says video of snowmobilers' moose meeting shows what not to do
This image taken from video shows a moose charging Bob Powell of Belmont. (Janis Powell via wcsh6.com)
Janis and Bob Powell of Belmont on Friday posted a two-minute YouTube video of the scary incident, which happened while they were riding snowmobiles in Jackman, Maine. By early Saturday evening, the video had gotten more than 5,200 views.
Watch the video for yourself:
Juneau said encountering moose on snowmobile trails in wilderness areas is common. But he said riders need to respect the size and speed of these animals and keep their distance.
Juneau said the riders were lucky to have escaped unharmed; there were no trees nearby that could have served as barriers to a charging moose.
"These animals, they look large, they look clumsy, but they are amazingly fast," he said. "And those legs are extremely heavy and extremely powerful. It wouldn't take much of a blow to really cause injury to a human."
"It had come out onto the trail, and we followed it a ways expecting it to get off the trail any time, which normally happens when we come across them."
"What happens is that they stop and look at us, so we go, then they go, and it repeats, sometimes for miles on end," they wrote. "Believe me, we'll be keeping much more distance in the future."
If a rider becomes aware of an animal on a trail, Juneau said, "try and slowly retreat, possibly raising your arms in the air to make yourself appear bigger. Just try to seek cover and remove yourself."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't - 0
- Some mighty tasty burgers at Willy's - 0
- Super Bowl champ makes Manchester appearance - 0
- Police investigating virus that attacked Auburn town, school computers - 0
- Remove Bobhouses from Ice by April 1 - 0
- Hooksett DPW workers say boss is abusive - 0
- Now's the time to assess winter's toll on your yard - 0
- Text of Vote of No Confidence in Public Works Director Leo Lessard - 0
- Questions linger as Auburn selectmen attempt to bring back town administrator - 1
Super Bowl champ makes Manchester appearance
Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't
Guide Lines: Options for open-water fishing
Report: NH plant species at risk
Thomas Sowell: Who would trust Iran?
Bedford mom never complained to friend
Taxing tobacco: Hassan's bad proposal