Officer says video of snowmobilers' moose meeting shows what not to do
This image taken from video shows a moose charging Bob Powell of Belmont. (Janis Powell via wcsh6.com)
Janis and Bob Powell of Belmont on Friday posted a two-minute YouTube video of the scary incident, which happened while they were riding snowmobiles in Jackman, Maine. By early Saturday evening, the video had gotten more than 5,200 views.
Watch the video for yourself:
Juneau said encountering moose on snowmobile trails in wilderness areas is common. But he said riders need to respect the size and speed of these animals and keep their distance.
Juneau said the riders were lucky to have escaped unharmed; there were no trees nearby that could have served as barriers to a charging moose.
"These animals, they look large, they look clumsy, but they are amazingly fast," he said. "And those legs are extremely heavy and extremely powerful. It wouldn't take much of a blow to really cause injury to a human."
"It had come out onto the trail, and we followed it a ways expecting it to get off the trail any time, which normally happens when we come across them."
"What happens is that they stop and look at us, so we go, then they go, and it repeats, sometimes for miles on end," they wrote. "Believe me, we'll be keeping much more distance in the future."
If a rider becomes aware of an animal on a trail, Juneau said, "try and slowly retreat, possibly raising your arms in the air to make yourself appear bigger. Just try to seek cover and remove yourself."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Win tickets to see Pat Benetar and Neil Giraldo - 0
- Win tickets to see Black Label Society - 0
- Last Week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
- Whitesnake return with the Purple Album - 0
- Loeb School announces Spring classes - 0
- Slash Featuring Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators announce additional dates for U.S. Tour including Hampton - 0
- Discover WILD New Hampshire Day Set - 0
- Ryan Cabrera is coming to Manchester April 2 - 0
- New England Disabled Sports and Loon Mountain Resort to Host 2015 US Paralympic Alpine Championships - 0
Win tickets to see Black Label Society
Last Week's Rare Bird Alert
Harrigan closes up camp
Senators call for reward in ISIS killings
When the snow melts, a draining concern