All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Public Safety

Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire

Union Leader Correspondent

April 19. 2014 7:02PM

KEENE -- A man was found electrocuted at the scene of a brush fire Saturday afternoon.

"It appears, from what we know so far, that it was an unfortunate tragedy," said Rob Farley of the state Fire Marshal's Office. "It appears, at this time, that the victim came into contact with a power line."

Farley said an autopsy scheduled for Monday will provide authorities with a positive identification of the man.

Keene firefighters went to 110 Krif Road at 2:20 p.m. for a report of a possible electrocution with a power line down. The property is adjacent to the Keene State College Athletic Complex.

As Keene fire units and police officers were responding, they learned there was also a brush fire at the scene.

The on duty shift commander, Capt. Robert Diluzio Jr. immediately requested dispatch to notify PSNH to respond.

When firefighters arrived at 2:23 p.m., they found an adult patient down in close proximity to a high voltage line and an active brush fire.

"Crews were unable to safely reach the patient at first due to the close proximity of patient to high voltage line. The incident has resulted in the death of one adult male subject," Keene Fire Chief Mark Howard said in a press release Saturday.

The Keene Fire Department Fire Investigation Unit, Keene police, the state Medical Examiner's office and the state Fire Marshal's office are working jointly on scene investigating the incident, he wrote.

The Marlborough and Swanzey fire departments assisted with station coverage while Keene fire units were on scene. PSNH crews also assisted Keene personnel on scene.

Staff reporter Tim Buckland contributed to this report.

Fires Keene Top Section Stories


More Headlines

Manchester police 'chief day' origins murky