Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter
Pope Francis holds a candle as he leads a vigil Mass during Easter celebrations at St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican on Saturday. REUTERS/Alessandro Bianchi
Marking the second Easter season of his pontificate, the Argentine Pope said a solemn Mass before some 10,000 people in St. Peter's Basilica, the largest church in Christendom.
The faithful held lit candles as the Pope walked up the main aisle, and then the basilica's lights were turned on in a blaze.
"Do I remember it? Have I forgotten it? Have I gone off on roads and paths that made me forget it?" he asked.
Francis will say an Easter Sunday Mass in St. Peter's Square and deliver his twice-yearly "Urbi et Orbi" (to the city and the world) blessing and message.
A week later, on Sunday April 27, he will canonize Pope John Paul II, who reigned from 1978 to 2005, and Pope John XXIII, who was pontiff from 1958 to 1963 and called the Second Vatican Council, a landmark meeting that modernized the Church.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 2
- Lundberg survey says gas prices fall as refinery output rises - 0
- Peterborough OKs state's largest solar array project - 0
- Settlement reached between Groton Wind and state AG's office - 1
- Peterborough makes plans for state's largest solar array - 0
- Alexandria won't approve permit for wind-power developer - 0
- Windham officials to discuss development - 0
- AMC asking N.E. governors to stop Northern Pass lines - 25
- Alternative routes being laid out for gas pipeline expansion - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
Market Basket community waits and watches