Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter
Pope Francis holds a candle as he leads a vigil Mass during Easter celebrations at St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican on Saturday. REUTERS/Alessandro Bianchi
Marking the second Easter season of his pontificate, the Argentine Pope said a solemn Mass before some 10,000 people in St. Peter's Basilica, the largest church in Christendom.
The faithful held lit candles as the Pope walked up the main aisle, and then the basilica's lights were turned on in a blaze.
"Do I remember it? Have I forgotten it? Have I gone off on roads and paths that made me forget it?" he asked.
Francis will say an Easter Sunday Mass in St. Peter's Square and deliver his twice-yearly "Urbi et Orbi" (to the city and the world) blessing and message.
A week later, on Sunday April 27, he will canonize Pope John Paul II, who reigned from 1978 to 2005, and Pope John XXIII, who was pontiff from 1958 to 1963 and called the Second Vatican Council, a landmark meeting that modernized the Church.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- A faithful restoration of a Manchester cathedral - 4
- Calender of religious events in the state - 0
- South African chorus at Portsmouth church - 0
- Collection this weekend to help religious communities address a retirement shortfall - 0
- Interfaith Women of NH at Temple Adath Yeshurun - 0
- Candlelight Advent concert Tuesday night at Saint Raphael Church in Manchester - 0
- Keene churches increase winter breakfasts this year - 0
- Pope to visit U.S. next year - 0
- St. Margaret of Scotland in Conway to celebrate the Kirkin' of the Tartan - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads