Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter
Pope Francis holds a candle as he leads a vigil Mass during Easter celebrations at St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican on Saturday. REUTERS/Alessandro Bianchi
Marking the second Easter season of his pontificate, the Argentine Pope said a solemn Mass before some 10,000 people in St. Peter's Basilica, the largest church in Christendom.
The faithful held lit candles as the Pope walked up the main aisle, and then the basilica's lights were turned on in a blaze.
"Do I remember it? Have I forgotten it? Have I gone off on roads and paths that made me forget it?" he asked.
Francis will say an Easter Sunday Mass in St. Peter's Square and deliver his twice-yearly "Urbi et Orbi" (to the city and the world) blessing and message.
A week later, on Sunday April 27, he will canonize Pope John Paul II, who reigned from 1978 to 2005, and Pope John XXIII, who was pontiff from 1958 to 1963 and called the Second Vatican Council, a landmark meeting that modernized the Church.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Making ornaments unite students, vets - 0
- NH Veterans Briefs: Marines to gather in Gilford - 0
- Sen. Ayotte to help 'Birds' program take flight - 0
- Another View -- Mary Tamposi: No wrong door for our veterans and their families - 0
- Salute to vets Tuesday in Manchester - 0
- ConVal, Souhegan football games to feature tributes to veterans - 0
- Veteran finally tells tale to family about friend who died in war - 0
- Special indicator designates veterans on NH IDs - 0
- Army budget cuts threaten veterans' funeral honor guards - 6
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Commodore Nutt takes D.C. by storm - 1
- School's out for voters - 1
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 14
- Senate battle attracts 17,000 TV ads in NH - 2
- Jonathan E. Benedict - 1
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 3
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Demaryius Thomas is x-factor for Broncos' offense - 1
- College Football: Big Green ready for tussle with Harvard - 0
- UNH Notebook: Albany is much improved - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer