Groundskeeper found electrocuted is identified
KEENE — A man found electrocuted at the scene of a brush fire Saturday afternoon has been identified as a longtime groundskeeper at Keene State College.
A statement issued Sunday by Keene State College President Anne Huot identified the man as Nate DeMond, 46, of Fitzwilliam. He worked as a groundskeeper at the college the last 14 years.
Keene firefighters went to 110 Krif Road at 2:20 p.m. Saturday for a report of a possible electrocution with a power line down. The property is adjacent to the Keene State College Athletic Complex. As Keene fire units and police officers were responding, they determined there was also a brush fire at the scene.
When firefighters arrived at 2:23 p.m., they found an adult down in close proximity to a high voltage line and an active brush fire.
“It appears, from what we know so far, that it was an unfortunate tragedy,” said Rob Farley of the state Fire Marshal’s Office. “It appears, at this time, that the victim came into contact with a power line.”
“Crews were unable to safely reach the patient at first due to the close proximity of patient to high voltage line. The incident resulted in the death of one adult male subject,” Keene Fire Chief Mark Howard said in a press release Saturday.
In a statement posted on the Keene State College Facebook page Sunday, Huot wrote, “I am deeply saddened by the tragic loss of Nate DeMond’s life over the weekend. Speaking on behalf of the College, we extend our deepest condolences to Nate’s family and friends during this very difficult time. We continue to learn more about the cause of the accident, which appears to have occurred while he was working outdoors on campus, as part of our Physical Plant staff.”
Huot stated counselors will be available to assist employees at Keene State beginning at 7 a.m. Monday.
The Marlborough and Swanzey fire departments assisted with station coverage while Keene fire units were on scene. PSNH crews also assisted Keene personnel on scene.