AG to appeal ruling reinstating County Attorney Jim Reams
On March 11, the attorney general and the Rockingham County Commissioners filed a "Petition to Remove" Reams based on those allegations, but on April 10 Merrimack County Superior Court Judge Richard McNamara ruled the attorney general does not have the authority to suspend an elected official unless the charges are criminal. The attorney general has said the allegations are not criminal.
"The "Petition to Remove" alleges serious misconduct on the part of County Attorney Reams — the chief law enforcement officer of the county — which directly impacts the public's confidence in the fair administration of justice," Attorney General Joseph A. Foster said in a prepared release. "Although not criminal, I believe that the serious nature of the misconduct by someone in that position warrants suspension of his prosecutorial authority pending a full hearing. For that reason, I have authorized an appeal to the Supreme Court."
Reams has said he will not seek reelection.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Siege Day launched at Pinkerton; students gain hands-on experience with hommade catapults - 0
- Middle school student's mom says principal used chokehold - 19
- School board suspends driver's ed program in Manchester, will probe source of $180k deficit - 2
- Manchester middle school principal placed on leave - 2
- Lebanon begins search for new school superindendent - 0
- Inventor excites Manchester fourth-graders with math, science possibilities - 0
- Nashua officals tour technical education center - 0
- City fourth-graders to meet entrepreneur Dean Kamen - 0
- No 3-day weekend for kids in Manchester school system - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- John H. Sununu: Voters, pick a governor who is serious about the Pledge - 1
- Team Obama: Faking right, voting left - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: This government 'investment' is a bad idea - 0
- Preventing riots: What should Keene do? - 0
- Manchester mayor asks aldermen to hold abandonded property owners accountable - 0
- Residents given Londonderry playing field priority - 0
- NH has 1,300 guardrail ends targeted in federal safety suit - 0
- Carignan promoted to deputy police chief in Nashua - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Meat cleaver has key role in threats, assault case - 0
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Team Obama: Faking right, voting left
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate
Preventing riots: What should Keene do?