AG to appeal ruling reinstating County Attorney Jim Reams
On March 11, the attorney general and the Rockingham County Commissioners filed a "Petition to Remove" Reams based on those allegations, but on April 10 Merrimack County Superior Court Judge Richard McNamara ruled the attorney general does not have the authority to suspend an elected official unless the charges are criminal. The attorney general has said the allegations are not criminal.
"The "Petition to Remove" alleges serious misconduct on the part of County Attorney Reams — the chief law enforcement officer of the county — which directly impacts the public's confidence in the fair administration of justice," Attorney General Joseph A. Foster said in a prepared release. "Although not criminal, I believe that the serious nature of the misconduct by someone in that position warrants suspension of his prosecutorial authority pending a full hearing. For that reason, I have authorized an appeal to the Supreme Court."
Reams has said he will not seek reelection.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notes: My favorite things from one week this summer - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notes: Sometimes, we have too much on our plates - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Chickens come home to roost with lucky German golfers - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: History has a way of repeating itself, and we are doing that with a second 'Memories' book - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Those who do so much good for NH often go unnoticed and unrecognized - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Getting it right with kids, the comics and the rest of the paper - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Marmaduke's back — and so's Seinfeld - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Nothing Goofy about a kick in the seat - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride