Council votes not to zero out Taylor Library budget
Taylor Library By Hunter McGee
An attempt to zero out the library’s $187,000 budget failed in a narrow 4-3 vote during a recent Town Council workshop.
In support of his motion, Osborne cited the relative close proximity of the Derry Public Library, which is less than two miles from the Taylor Library. In addition, Osborne cited figures showing that approximately $160,000 of the library’s budget goes to salaries and benefits.
He also said the council had received clear direction on the need to reduce the budget and bring down taxes from residents during the school deliberative session earlier this year. One resident after another came to the microphone to urge the town council to lower costs, which strongly moved him, he said.
Osborne said he knew his motion to eliminate the Taylor Library budget wouldn’t make him popular, but he felt he has an obligation to the residents who called for change.
Councilors Joshua Bourdon, David Fischer and Phyllis Katsakiores also spoke in favor of keeping the library’s budget intact.
Bourdon said he also didn’t want to see Derry left with another vacant building if the council voted to zero out the library’s budget and close its doors.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Another View -- Fred Hiatt: Disengage from the world, and this is what happens - 0
- David Harsanyi: Are teachers really underpaid? - 10
- Jonah Goldberg: The U.N. club needs higher standards - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 20
- Deroy Murdock: What if Gaza were San Diego instead? - 1
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 55
- Another View -- Charles Lane: Obamacare and the Constitution - 22
- John Stossel: Why are we giving the police so much power? - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 1
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 1
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride