Home » News » Politics » State Government
Democratic House Speaker Norelli to retire
Norelli is in her ninth term representing Portsmouth. She previously served two terms as speaker, the only Democrat to serve in nearly 100 years. She taught mathematics at Winnacunnet High School before being elected to the House.
"Speaker Norelli brought dignity to the office, which we all appreciate," said New Hampshire Democratic Party Chairman Ray Buckley. "She has had a tremendous and historic career as a representative, Democratic Leader, and as the first Democratic speaker in 84 years. She led and oversaw tremendous legislative accomplishments, including Medicaid expansion, marriage equality, and the in-state college tuition freeze."
Republicans said Norelli's decision was likely motivated by the possibility of a Republican majority winning election to the House in November.
"Speaker Norelli's announcement today serves as an implicit admission that Democrats realize they will lose their majority in the New Hampshire House of Representatives," said Republican State Committee Chairman Jennifer Horn. "Granite Staters are fed up with the tax-and-spend policies proposed by Gov. Hassan and her allies in the Democrat-controlled House, and they are going to replace them with fiscally responsible Republicans in November."
READER COMMENTS: 2
- 10 legislators to watch in this coming session - 0
- State Employees Association declares impasse in bargaining - 20
- House Rules Committee rejects majority leader vote, OKs letting lawmakers carry guns - 0
- Majority leader sees GOP rift healing after Jan. 7 - 11
- Official House GOP caucus begins setting goals - 0
- Rival NH Republican caucus seeks own voice - 30
- Jasper censure cites 'breach of trust' - 0
- Starting Jan. 1, NH elderly and disabled have more protection - 0
- GOP committee: Censure Speaker for Dems' help in winning post - 38
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads