Ice-out declared on Forest Lake
As attested to by this clock, ice out occurred on Forest Lake in Whitefield at 7:47 p.m., April 18. The Whitefield Lions Club has sponsored an “Ice Out” contest on Forest Lake for three years . (Courtesy Whitefield Lions Club)
Inspired by a similar contest at nearby Joe's Pond in Vermont, the club in 2012 began its own ice out competition on Forest Lake, which lies in the towns of Dalton and Whitefield. Each year the event has grown, said member Don Discenzo, on Tuesday.
Discenzo thanked the participants and said the Lake Forest ice out contest would be back next winter. He said the money raised will support Lions Club programs in and around Whitefield.
Forest Lake is considerably smaller than Lake Winnipesaukee, which has had its own ice out competition for considerably longer. That call is expected today.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- The secret for the Cider House Cafe's pancakes is in the blueberries - 0
- Our Gourmet: A funky take on an old-world pub at Harlow's in Peterborough - 0
- Disc golf on verge of coming to Manchester - 0
- QUEST summer camps moving to new communities - 0
- Claremont begins demolishing old outdoor pool - 0
- Acres of summer color, without irrigation - 0
- Down to Earth: The best parts of this NH summer - 0
- Revised plans for Salem High School renovation satisfy board - 0
- Neighbor blames school renovations for home flooding - 0
Disc golf on verge of coming to Manchester
Win tickets to see Josh Turner
A fine California white with Texas roots
U.S. appeals courts issue conflicting rulings on Obamacare exchange subsidies such as NH's
Insanity: Obamacare and the rule of law
Passers-by, including two active-duty Army soldiers, help rescue mom, daughter in I-93 rollover