Ice-out declared on Forest Lake
As attested to by this clock, ice out occurred on Forest Lake in Whitefield at 7:47 p.m., April 18. The Whitefield Lions Club has sponsored an “Ice Out” contest on Forest Lake for three years . (Courtesy Whitefield Lions Club)
Inspired by a similar contest at nearby Joe's Pond in Vermont, the club in 2012 began its own ice out competition on Forest Lake, which lies in the towns of Dalton and Whitefield. Each year the event has grown, said member Don Discenzo, on Tuesday.
Discenzo thanked the participants and said the Lake Forest ice out contest would be back next winter. He said the money raised will support Lions Club programs in and around Whitefield.
Forest Lake is considerably smaller than Lake Winnipesaukee, which has had its own ice out competition for considerably longer. That call is expected today.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Amazing, grace, now please stop - 0
- Cheryl Kimball's Nature Talks: Waiting for the leaves and the color green to return - 0
- Students, volunteers keep salmon stocking effort afloat - 1
- Brush fire damages small shed in Auburn - 0
- NH Club Briefs: Effingham society program on 'Big Trees of NH' - 0
- Efforts by sailor's family to bring remains home from Pearl Harbor pay off - 1
- Good weather helping effort to clear Mount Washington Auto Road - 0
- Death Cab for Cutie schedules road trip to Manchester - 0
- Brad Paisley's 'Perfect Storm' to roll into Lakes Region - 0
Amazing, grace, now please stop
‘American Idol’ tour stops in Hampton
First dance of primary season
Few 100k earners in city schools
Portsmouth pushing for plastic bag ban
R.I. man arrested at Nashua DMV
The queen travels by van with a spotlight
Rubio: NSA spying concerns are overblown