Ice-out declared on Forest Lake
As attested to by this clock, ice out occurred on Forest Lake in Whitefield at 7:47 p.m., April 18. The Whitefield Lions Club has sponsored an “Ice Out” contest on Forest Lake for three years . (Courtesy Whitefield Lions Club)
Inspired by a similar contest at nearby Joe's Pond in Vermont, the club in 2012 began its own ice out competition on Forest Lake, which lies in the towns of Dalton and Whitefield. Each year the event has grown, said member Don Discenzo, on Tuesday.
Discenzo thanked the participants and said the Lake Forest ice out contest would be back next winter. He said the money raised will support Lions Club programs in and around Whitefield.
Forest Lake is considerably smaller than Lake Winnipesaukee, which has had its own ice out competition for considerably longer. That call is expected today.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: Explaining a red blue jay spotted in New Hampshire - 0
- Mac & Cheese 10 Country Flavor Tour: America's Favorite Comfort Food Goes Global - 0
- Blizzard was last challenge for retiring Derry fire chief - 0
- Blizzard couldn't bury this year's Pond Hockey Classic - 0
- Slopeside: Proper ski boots should fit like a glove and make all the difference - 0
- NH moose hunt lottery is open - 0
- Stars of professional, community theater to be spotlighted - 0
- Bromberg, Hidalgo headlining at Plymouth venue - 0
- Have an appetite for family theater? Try 'Life on a Plate' - 0
Bobcat resurgence raises trapping talk
Granite State volunteers honor MLK's legacy
NH moose hunt lottery is open
Enter to win tickets to see Nickelback
Bedford reprimands students for tweets critical of superintendent for not cancelling school Wednesday
Editorial: Scared of snow: Has NH gone soft?
Romney opts out of run for presidency