Lake Winnipesaukee ice-out expected today
Ice near Six-Mile Island on Lake Winnipesaukee, just to the southeast of Center Harbor, taken by plane Tuesday morning. (COURTESY)
The remaining ice on Meredith Bay in a photo taken by Dave Emerson of Emerson Aviation Tuesday morning. (COURTESY)
Dave Emerson — of Emerson Aviation — the man who flies over the lake several times a day at this time of year to decide when Ice-out occurs, said there is some straggling ice that apparently doesn't want to give up on winter in Center Harbor.
Emerson declares Ice-out when he determines that the M.S. Mount Washington can make it to each of its five ports. The boat is docked in Center Harbor each winter.
The earliest ice-out recorded was in 2012 on March 23, narrowly beating out the previous record of March 24 from two years before. The latest it occurred was May 12, 1888.
"The call does not mean that the lake is entirely devoid of ice, nor does it mean that the Mount Washington actually does go to each of its ports. It simply means that it is believed that the ship could," Emerson said.
During a normal ice season, Emerson said, Center Harbor and Meredith Bay would be the first to lose ice.
Rain and wind that were in the forecast for Tuesday night were expected to wipe out the remaining ice sheets and chunks, Emerson said.
If ice-out occurs Wednesday, it will still be late compared to most years. But April 23 is one of the most common ice-out dates; it occurred on that day in 1891, 1896, 1897, 1912, 1977, 1994, 2007, and 2008.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Speedway looks to attract more fans as NASCAR stars return to NH - 0
- Next to the fun park, a new seafood spot - 0
- A story to bring beer lovers pleasant dreams - 0
- Salem senior housing ordinance change proposed - 0
- New Boston students could be given option to attend Goffstown middle school - 0
- New Album 'WORLD ON FIRE' Released Today And Streaming On USA Today, appearances to follow - 0
- Whitefield artist's beadwork is a tribute to her Native American ancestry - 0
- Alice Cooper 'Raise The Dead – Live From Wacken' DVD out October 21 in North America via UDR Music - 0
- Joan Osborne & The Weight: Members of The Band in Plymouth next weekend - 0
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
A story to bring beer lovers pleasant dreams
Win tickets to see the John Butler Trio
Enter to win tickets to see the Dirty Heads
NH couple hit slot for $2.4m in Las Vegas
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children