Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
Aug 14, 2014
Jul 24, 2014
Candia police investigating possible pitbull fighting
This injured white pitbull was found April 13 in a ditch at the intersection of Merrill Road and High Street in Candia. (COURTESY PHOTO)
The stranded white male Pitbull is said to maintain a friendly demeanor, according to police. (Candia Police)
The white male Pitball, which police estimate is near 5 years old, was found Sunday, April 13, around 7 a.m. in a ditch at the intersection of Merrill Road and High Street in Candia, not far from Charmingfare Farm. He was wrapped in a while-fitted bed sheet, covered with urine and very weak when he was found, said Candia Animal Control Officer Kate Morrill, who is investigating the incident.
"There is a large possibility that he was used for something in a dog-fighting situation," she said. "He has multiple scars on his feet, and his toenails are in very poor shape with sores on the pads of his feet, indicating he was standing in most likely his own urine and feces.
"The dog was extremely lethargic as if he had been given something," said Morrill. "His mouth, in general, was very gross with missing teeth and very gross gums. His feet were possibly broken at some point and his nails were extremely long and some nails had broken off. He had some serious skin issues, most likely due to his living conditions."
Candia Police Chief Mike McGillen said other local agencies have been contacted to determine if any have had similar incidences.
"This was pretty horrible," he said. "I'm absolutely disgusted by it, how someone could do that to this poor animal."
Morrill said the dog maintains a friendly demeanor and noted the woman who found him is interested in adopting him.
Though Morrill said there have been no other pitbull incidents reported, she noted there's been a growing number of stray and unclaimed dogs in both Candia and Deerfield.
Morrill is asking that anyone with additional information on the wounded pitbull or any other dogs that are being left locally to contact Candia police at 483-2318.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say North Hampton man distributed child sex abuse images - 0
- Sexual assault charge in Keene - 0
- Keene man charged with threatening Nelson teen with gun - 0
- More details released about Nashua drive-by shooting - 0
- Portsmouth man charged with two felony drug counts - 0
- Affidavits show woman was shot as feds conducted downtown Manchester drug raid - 0
- Newton man charged with kidnapping, sexual assault of 15-year-old Mass. girl - 1
- Two felony charges for alleged Portsmouth drug dealer - 0
- Nashua man arrested in violent purse snatching - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917