Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
MANCHESTER — The younger of two Rochester brothers incarcerated for the 1996 murders of their parents was released from state prison on parole last month after serving 18 years for helping shoot Vance and Eve Dingman to death.
Jeffrey A. Dingman, 32, was paroled from the Calumet halfway house on Lowell Street March 17, five weeks after he completed his minimum sentence and became eligible for parole Feb. 7.
Dingman, however, will remain on parole for the rest of his life, New Hampshire Adult Parole Board executive assistant Andrea J. Goldberg said Tuesday.
"He has to lead a law-abiding life. He has to be a public citizen. It is up to his parole officer to monitor that to make sure he is doing what needs to be done to keep himself and the public safe. He will be supervised like any other offender," Goldberg said.
Dingman, then 14, and his brother, Robert, then 17, ambushed their 40-year-old parents as they arrived home after work Feb. 9, 1996, and taunted the wounded couple as the final bullets were fired into their bodies.
Jeffrey Dingman admitted to the murders, turned state's witness and testified at his brother's high-profile murder trial that the pair plotted the murders because they "didn't like" their parents and resented the curfews and other restrictions placed on them.
In exchange, Jeffrey Dingman pleaded guilty to two second-degree murder charges and received a 30-year-to-life sentence with 12 years of his minimum sentence suspended provided he remain on good behavior. Dingman also earned 505 days pre-trial credit, which was deducted from his minimum sentence, making him eligible for parole Feb. 7.
"All I can tell you is he met the conditions of his parole and he got released," Goldberg said. She would not elaborate.
Dingman's attorney, Mark Stevens of Salem, said his client hopes to make a "quiet re-entry back into society."
"That's the best course of action for him and that is what he is trying to do," Stevens said.
The three-member adult parole board granted Dingman conditional parole Dec. 5. Noting Dingman had been incarcerated since he was a Rochester Middle School student, the board expressed concerned Dingman never learned to drive, owned a cell phone or held a bank account.
Dingman told the board "I'm weighing my decisions more. I don't just act. I try to be a better person."
The board ordered Dingman to get professional counseling and undergo an evaluation, learn to budget, bank, rent an apartment and develop a more substantial relationship with his mother's sister, Elizabeth Landry, and her husband, Maurice, of Greenfield. The couple supported Dingman's release on parole.
A parole plan normally includes securing employment and housing. Dingman was working at a Manchester mill, but was fired after pictures of him at his parole board hearing Dec. 5 appeared in the media, a parole board member said.
He has not yet secured another job, a source said.
Dingman is being supervised by the parole department's Manchester district office.
Elizabeth Landry told the parole board that she and her husband, Maurice, forgave Jeffrey Dingman and wanted to give him a second chance. They told the board they plan to take him to movies and other social and recreational events.
No one answered the door Tuesday at the Landrys' blue split-level home, located at the end of a long, winding dirt driveway. The front door knocker was inscribed with a reading from the Old Testament's Book of Numbers that said: "The Lord bless you & keep you."
Robert V. Dingman, 35, was convicted of two counts of first-degree murder and is serving concurrent life sentences without possibility of parole at New Hampshire State Prison for Men in Concord.
He also received a seven- to 15-year sentence consecutive to his life sentences.