Manchester vote restricting access to horses spurs riders to rally
Manchester Water Works answered with material from the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation, which says horse manure can impair water quality and contain pathogens potentially harmful to humans.
"However the risk is not zero," Paris wrote in an email, "and while horse feces is not 'hazardous' by the definition of a chemical, ignitable, reactive or corrosive, it does contain nutrients ... (nitrogen and phosphorous in particular) and can have crypto, giardia and coliform bacteria which are listed tap water microbiological contaminants."
The proposed regulations would:
• Allow horses on gravel fire roads as long as they wear some kind of diaper or waste-collection device.
• Prohibit horses from water, the shoreline, beaches, boat launches or public parks.
Horse riders showed the New Hampshire Union Leader the results of microbiological analysis of two samples of horse manure that horse riders had submitted to the University of New Hampshire Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory. They showed no traces of pathogens. One was analyzed this year, one three years ago.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester school exec contract squeaks by - 9
- Milford road reopening could improve traffic flow - 0
- Town Hall hours in Salem up for debate - 0
- Coos County tax bills headed to unincorporated places - 0
- Tentative deal for old Manchester police station - 4
- Utility pole licensing changes could raise rates in Derry - 0
- Derry councilor wants to begin budget discussion - 0
- Major development approved in Merrimack - 1
- Weare residents turn out to discuss police department concerns - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
- Dave Solomon's Power Plays: Who knew what and when in PSNH scrubber case? - 0
- Story of Marine Memorial at Hampton Beach begins with Bill Downs - 0
- Immigrants include ethnic dishes at their Thanksgiving table - 0
- Puritans in America: Daniel Webster on religion's role - 0
- Mitt Romney is out front, but says he's not running again - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record