Sep 18, 2014
Sep 4, 2014
Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
Handshake between prosecutor, defendant draws some attention
The handshake was caught on camera by a pool photographer, Associated Press photographer Jim Cole, and was featured on the New Hampshire Union Leader front page and news websites throughout the state.
Scott Murray, the Merrimack County Attorney, said it happened more often when he worked in District Court, a faster system where prosecutors speak face-to-face with defendants before court starts.
Hillsborough County Attorney Patricia LaFrance said a handshake can follow when a defendant and prosecutor agree to a plea bargain. LaFrance said she'll often tell the convict she never wants to see him again, except at the supermarket.
Young, who has been prosecuting criminals for 24 years, said prosecutors don't relish their job. She'd prefer a crime-free world where she wouldn't have any work.
The handshake had an impact on Arsenault's boss, Manchester Bishop Peter Libasci.
"I see Jane Young's accepting that handshake as an example of what we mean when we speak of the dignity of all people," Libasci said.
READER COMMENTS: 11
- Dalton man sentenced for assaulting inmate - 0
- Hampstead man accused of sex assaults on girl - 0
- Police say man kills daughter, 6 grandchildren in Fla. murder-suicide - 2
- 2 men arrested in Manchester SWAT raid, drug bust - 4
- 2 women sentenced in Home Depot scam - 0
- Man accused of stabbing man in Concord's White Park - 0
- Friends, co-workers mourn loss of Amherst mother and son - 4
- Vermont father, two sons facing charges for Canobie Lake Park scuffle - 2
- Son used AK-47 to kill mother, then himself in Amherst home - 37
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 0
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 6
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Londonderry Rotary to host forum next week - 0
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'
- Total Votes: 917