Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
Aug 14, 2014
Jul 24, 2014
Handshake between prosecutor, defendant draws some attention
The handshake was caught on camera by a pool photographer, Associated Press photographer Jim Cole, and was featured on the New Hampshire Union Leader front page and news websites throughout the state.
Scott Murray, the Merrimack County Attorney, said it happened more often when he worked in District Court, a faster system where prosecutors speak face-to-face with defendants before court starts.
Hillsborough County Attorney Patricia LaFrance said a handshake can follow when a defendant and prosecutor agree to a plea bargain. LaFrance said she'll often tell the convict she never wants to see him again, except at the supermarket.
Young, who has been prosecuting criminals for 24 years, said prosecutors don't relish their job. She'd prefer a crime-free world where she wouldn't have any work.
The handshake had an impact on Arsenault's boss, Manchester Bishop Peter Libasci.
"I see Jane Young's accepting that handshake as an example of what we mean when we speak of the dignity of all people," Libasci said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- West Lebanon man accused of secretly recording child - 0
- Prosecutors seek to block documents from advisor's fraud trial - 0
- Former EMT receives probation for theft of fentanyl - 0
- Biker faces charges after high-speed chase at 127 mph - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 7
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 4
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 14
- Newport shooting victim in stable but critical condition - 0
- Nashua arrests 9 on drug warrants - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Know the Law: Know your rights when dealing with debt collectors - 0
- Ask SCORE: Getting help with routine chores allows owners to focus on critical issues - 0
- Another View - Richard Ober: We have to act now to stop the decline in NH's future prospects - 0
- Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate - 0
- Firefly dress could set the world on fire - 0
- As school year starts, talk of new testing begins in Manchester - 0
- Wildcats focus on positives following opening loss - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey Preview: Exeter, Pinkerton girls thinking big - 0
- Frank Jones' foray into ale-making in Portsmouth is a success - 0
Two killed in North Hampton plane crash
DWI License Revocations
Sherborne takes Manchester city golf crown
- Total Votes: 917