Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Sep 18, 2014
Handshake between prosecutor, defendant draws some attention
The handshake was caught on camera by a pool photographer, Associated Press photographer Jim Cole, and was featured on the New Hampshire Union Leader front page and news websites throughout the state.
Scott Murray, the Merrimack County Attorney, said it happened more often when he worked in District Court, a faster system where prosecutors speak face-to-face with defendants before court starts.
Hillsborough County Attorney Patricia LaFrance said a handshake can follow when a defendant and prosecutor agree to a plea bargain. LaFrance said she'll often tell the convict she never wants to see him again, except at the supermarket.
Young, who has been prosecuting criminals for 24 years, said prosecutors don't relish their job. She'd prefer a crime-free world where she wouldn't have any work.
The handshake had an impact on Arsenault's boss, Manchester Bishop Peter Libasci.
"I see Jane Young's accepting that handshake as an example of what we mean when we speak of the dignity of all people," Libasci said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Driver overdosing on heroin causes crash - 0
- Hill sex offender arrested for 2012 arson of own home in Northfield - 0
- Deliberations begin in trial of former Derry man accused of sex assault - 0
- Mazzaglia pleads guilty to devising escape plan - 0
- Manchester pair arrested for fighting in Merrimack parking lot - 0
- Nashua man who was shot by officer sentenced to 5-10 years - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Football: Bedford used pick-six to beat Central - 0
- NHIAA Football: Bishop Guertin completes miracle, makes playoffs with win over Nashua South - 0
- NHIAA Football Roundup: Souhegan closes out season with a win - 0
- NHIAA Football: Londonderry edges Salem in wild finish - 0
Hockey brought them together; Hooksett ice rink will serve as NH couple's 'church' for wedding
Dartmouth women skaters beat Union
NH Audubon's Rare Bird Alert
Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483