Riders can't convince Manchester Water Works of horse sense
From left, Vanessa Jeunehomme, a horse owner from Candia, Pat McDuffee of Candia, and Judy Lorimer, a member of the Hollis Area Equestrians, rally outside the Manchester Water Works office Wednesday. (Thomas Roy/Union Leader)
The new regulations:
• Allow horses on gravel fire roads, as long as they wear some kind of diaper or waste-collection device.
• Prohibit horses in the water or on the shoreline, beaches, boat launches or public parks.
Water Works officials have said the restrictions are needed because the shallow lake, which is located next to an urban area, is fragile and environmentally vulnerable to nutrients found in animal waste.
Horse enthusiast Dorine Remillard, who was told to leave the room, distributed a memo that said horseback riders would be willing to establish a permit-fee system, pay for trail signs, keep parking areas clean and pick up or scatter droppings when safe to do so.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Thank a veteran on Saturday at Holderness barbecue - 0
- Theatre Under the Stars honors 'The Bard,' local fallen soldier - 0
- Family of World War I vet receives Purple Heart medal in ceremony - 0
- Struggle of returning female veterans is showcased in film playing July 29 - 0
- Mt. Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce soars - 0
- $17.6b request seeks to cover more efficient veteran care - 0
- He knows the Memorial Wall, name by name - 0
- NH veterans program targeted by 'baffling bureaucratic decision' - 0
- Nashua court gives veterans a fighting chance - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 0
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 0
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
- Life's just a great big game for Dan Yarrington - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH
Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee