Riders can't convince Manchester Water Works of horse sense
From left, Vanessa Jeunehomme, a horse owner from Candia, Pat McDuffee of Candia, and Judy Lorimer, a member of the Hollis Area Equestrians, rally outside the Manchester Water Works office Wednesday. (Thomas Roy/Union Leader)
The new regulations:
• Allow horses on gravel fire roads, as long as they wear some kind of diaper or waste-collection device.
• Prohibit horses in the water or on the shoreline, beaches, boat launches or public parks.
Water Works officials have said the restrictions are needed because the shallow lake, which is located next to an urban area, is fragile and environmentally vulnerable to nutrients found in animal waste.
Horse enthusiast Dorine Remillard, who was told to leave the room, distributed a memo that said horseback riders would be willing to establish a permit-fee system, pay for trail signs, keep parking areas clean and pick up or scatter droppings when safe to do so.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- George Will: Battle royal in Iowa - 0
- Charles Krauthammer: Our real Syria strategy: containment-plus - 0
- Roger Simon: Do 'real men' hit women? - 3
- Another View -- Scott Brown: America's interests come before party or President - 27
- John Stossel: We have two anti-choice parties in America - 1
- Another View -- Andres Martinez: How our imperial tax code encourages inversions - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: What 'war on women'? - 4
- George Will: High stakes in Kansas - 1
- Kathy Sullivan: NH GOP's smearing of good people hits a new low - 29
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man accused of cutting wife’s throat committed to psychiatric hospital - 1
- Two may have stabbed each other in Concord parking garage incident, police say - 0
- Manchester joyride in a stolen truck lands two in handcuffs - 0
- High School Football Power Poll: Some shuffling in the middle - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Pamela Diamantis: USNH’s tuition freeze offer is good for NH’s future - 1
- Crosstown Variety Store robbed in Manchester - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio: A well-earned celebration for Sox. - 0
- A’s earn their way into postseason play - 0
Dover man's nightmare lesson for everyone
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
'Strange ideas' Banning guns made in NH
Personhood Controversial? Really?
License revocations for DWI announced
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance