Riders can't convince Manchester Water Works of horse sense
From left, Vanessa Jeunehomme, a horse owner from Candia, Pat McDuffee of Candia, and Judy Lorimer, a member of the Hollis Area Equestrians, rally outside the Manchester Water Works office Wednesday. (Thomas Roy/Union Leader)
The new regulations:
• Allow horses on gravel fire roads, as long as they wear some kind of diaper or waste-collection device.
• Prohibit horses in the water or on the shoreline, beaches, boat launches or public parks.
Water Works officials have said the restrictions are needed because the shallow lake, which is located next to an urban area, is fragile and environmentally vulnerable to nutrients found in animal waste.
Horse enthusiast Dorine Remillard, who was told to leave the room, distributed a memo that said horseback riders would be willing to establish a permit-fee system, pay for trail signs, keep parking areas clean and pick up or scatter droppings when safe to do so.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Chair to serve as Derry POW/MIA memorial - 0
- Harbor Homes of Nashua receives funds to expand mental health services - 0
- Veterans Home in Tilton takes on ALS challenge - 0
- Honor Our Veterans event on Aug. 24; free pork roast in Rochester; free pork roast in Rochester - 0
- Homeland Heroes to open "store" in Hudson - 0
- At 73, double amputee Vietnam vet is golfing again with special cart at Manchester CC - 0
- Veterans Home's oldest resident dies at 100 - 0
- Vets charity receives a $150,000 gift - 0
- Veterans News: Coupe De Ville Band plays in Kingston - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Merrimack Valley tops Hollis/Brookline in Spaulding Jamboree - 0
- More details released about Nashua drive-by shooting - 0
- Stocks lose ground on Ukraine worry - 0
- John Stossel: The other green monster - 0
- Another View - Charles Lane: Obama's wedge issue is the seductive lure of golf - 0
- Affidavits show woman was shot as feds conducted downtown Manchester drug raid - 0
- Shoppers return steadily to familiar Market Basket stores - 0
- Newly renovated Blair Covered Bridge damaged by truck - 0
- Ayotte says Northern Pass lines should be buried beneath roads - 1
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name