Manchester school official points to 7 weapons cases not brought to conduct committee
Langton is chairman of the Student Conduct Committee, which holds hearings that determine whether a student is expelled from school. She first raised her concerns at a school board meeting last week.
Langton said she’s learned that among the cases not referred to the committee were seven instances in which students brought weapons to school. Five involved knives, one a BB gun and another a Taser.
At the same time, state law gives superintendents the discretion to weigh circumstances in deciding whether to refer cases for expulsion. They also have the authority, without consulting a school board, to order suspensions of up to 10 days. Administrators are also not allowed to refer special education students for expulsion hearings.
Asked to respond to the concerns raised by Langton, Assistant Superintendent David Ryan sent an email on behalf of Superintendent Debra Livingston.
At last week’s school board meeting, Ward 10 member John Avard echoed Langton’s concerns.
The board voted to refer the matter to the Coordination Committee on a motion from Ward 1 member Sarah Ambrogi, who said the district’s code of conduct was due for a review.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Another View -- Fred Hiatt: Disengage from the world, and this is what happens - 0
- David Harsanyi: Are teachers really underpaid? - 9
- Jonah Goldberg: The U.N. club needs higher standards - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 20
- Deroy Murdock: What if Gaza were San Diego instead? - 1
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 55
- Another View -- Charles Lane: Obamacare and the Constitution - 22
- John Stossel: Why are we giving the police so much power? - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
- Police seeking help to identify alleged credit card thieves - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride