Home » News » Public Safety
Downed wires spark brush fire that spreads to Manchester house
Firefighters survey the scene of a fire at a house at 2 Faith Lane, Manchester, Thursday afternoon. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)
A tree that fell into a utility pole at Hazelton Avenue and Faith Lane started the series of events that resulted in the house at 2 Faith Lane catching fire, according to Tessier.
Offiicer Scott Ardita said the tree fell on the west side of Hazelton and struck utility wires on the east side of the roadway, snapping a utility pole near the top cross bars.
Electrical sparks fell to brush below, igniting a heavily overgrown area on the east side of Hazelton Avenue, just north of Faith Lane. The fire spread to the rear of the house at 2 Faith Lane, eventually engulfing the single family home and igniting a small grilling propane tank at the rear of the home.
The brush fire also burned along the property line at 342 Hazelton Ave., damaging a utility trailer and bob house stored there. That home was not damaged, and officers evacuated some of the surrounding homes as Manchester firefighters got the brush fire and house fire under control.
Hazelton Avenue, between Faith lane and Devonshire Road as of mid-afternoon is closed to traffic as PSNH repairs the damaged pole. Traffic on Old Brown Avenue is restricted. Motorists are encouraged to seek alternative routes.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Dozens displaced by Manchester apartment building fire - 3
- Ossipee woman killed in late-night Moultonborough crash - 1
- Danville couple struggling to get back on feet after explosion - 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- These all-natural candles can double as massage oil - 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 18
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 5
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Human intervention hobbling ice fishermen
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings