Home » News » Public Safety
Downed wires spark brush fire that spreads to Manchester house
Firefighters survey the scene of a fire at a house at 2 Faith Lane, Manchester, Thursday afternoon. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)
A tree that fell into a utility pole at Hazelton Avenue and Faith Lane started the series of events that resulted in the house at 2 Faith Lane catching fire, according to Tessier.
Offiicer Scott Ardita said the tree fell on the west side of Hazelton and struck utility wires on the east side of the roadway, snapping a utility pole near the top cross bars.
Electrical sparks fell to brush below, igniting a heavily overgrown area on the east side of Hazelton Avenue, just north of Faith Lane. The fire spread to the rear of the house at 2 Faith Lane, eventually engulfing the single family home and igniting a small grilling propane tank at the rear of the home.
The brush fire also burned along the property line at 342 Hazelton Ave., damaging a utility trailer and bob house stored there. That home was not damaged, and officers evacuated some of the surrounding homes as Manchester firefighters got the brush fire and house fire under control.
Hazelton Avenue, between Faith lane and Devonshire Road as of mid-afternoon is closed to traffic as PSNH repairs the damaged pole. Traffic on Old Brown Avenue is restricted. Motorists are encouraged to seek alternative routes.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 11
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Chester deputy fire chief jailed for allegedly violating restraining order - 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'