Home » News » Public Safety
Downed wires spark brush fire that spreads to Manchester house
Firefighters survey the scene of a fire at a house at 2 Faith Lane, Manchester, Thursday afternoon. (DAVID LANE/UNION LEADER)
A tree that fell into a utility pole at Hazelton Avenue and Faith Lane started the series of events that resulted in the house at 2 Faith Lane catching fire, according to Tessier.
Offiicer Scott Ardita said the tree fell on the west side of Hazelton and struck utility wires on the east side of the roadway, snapping a utility pole near the top cross bars.
Electrical sparks fell to brush below, igniting a heavily overgrown area on the east side of Hazelton Avenue, just north of Faith Lane. The fire spread to the rear of the house at 2 Faith Lane, eventually engulfing the single family home and igniting a small grilling propane tank at the rear of the home.
The brush fire also burned along the property line at 342 Hazelton Ave., damaging a utility trailer and bob house stored there. That home was not damaged, and officers evacuated some of the surrounding homes as Manchester firefighters got the brush fire and house fire under control.
Hazelton Avenue, between Faith lane and Devonshire Road as of mid-afternoon is closed to traffic as PSNH repairs the damaged pole. Traffic on Old Brown Avenue is restricted. Motorists are encouraged to seek alternative routes.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Group raising money for family of Raymond man killed by boulder - 0
- Newly renovated Blair Covered Bridge damaged by truck - 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 15
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Win tickets to see Steven Wright