This week's Rare Bird Alert
Two sandhill cranes were seen in Concord on April 20, and two have returned to their summering grounds in Monroe during the past week. The ones in Monroe frequently can be seen in fields along the Connecticut River north of town and also in fields along Plains Road.
A pair of northern shovelers was seen at the Canterbury sod farms, located west of Route 93 off of Exit 18, on April 20.A pair of blue-winged teal was seen in Penacook on April 21, and a pair was seen in Orford on the 23rd.Two greater scaup, 10 common goldeneye, 52 ring-necked ducks, three double-crested cormorants, and a pied-billed grebe were seen on the Connecticut River in Hanover on April 19.
Twenty green-winged teal, 12 ring-necked ducks, and 60 wood ducks were tallied at the wetlands adjacent to the fields located behind the Concord Post Office on Loudon Road on April 21.
A fish crow was reported from Tilton, and another was reported from Concord, both on April 20.
A pair of evening grosbeaks was reported from Richmond on April 21.
A fox sparrow was seen and heard in Hinsdale on April 17.
A vesper sparrow was heard in Penacook on April 20, and one was reported from Boscawen on the 19th.
Two black-throated green wablers were seen in Ashland on April 21.
There were a few bank swallows and barn swallows, several northern rough-swallows, and many tree swallows reported during the past week.
A northern goshawk was seen in Pittsfield on April 21.
There were multiple reports of raptors during the past week, including: bald eagles, American kestrels, merlins, peregrine falcons, northern harriers, ospreys, red-shouldered hawks, red-tailed hawks, sharp-shinned hawks, Cooper’s hawks, and turkey vultures.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Woman sues after her dogs kill neighbor's pet beagle - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Breed's bad reputation skews the truth about pitbulls - 2
- Auburn family's dog found shot in head - 10
- Cat dies after reportedly being thrown from vehicle on Route 11 in New Durham - 6
- Swanzey dog rescue seeks funds to rebuild after fire - 0
- Answers sought over dead ducks, geese - 0
- Derry residents debate dog leash law - 0
- Man who shot Huskies was worried he would be target of animal rights groups - 20
- Police say three Huskies missing in Merrimack were mistaken as wolves and shot, killed - 75
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Keene State student charged, three new arrest warrants issued in wake of pumpkin riot - 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 0
- Winning $100,000 lottery ticket sold in Laconia - 0
- Monarchs Scouting Report: Nick Shore - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 7
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 7
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.