Home » News » Public Safety
Heroin, other drug overdoses alarm community
Five people have died from drug overdoses in Derry since January, with four of the deaths blamed on heroin, police said.
Also since January, there were 16 drug overdoses in Derry, with 12 from heroin, Garone said.
In some cases, people who were prescribed a drug such as Oxycontin to treat pain become addicted. When they can no longer receive refills, they turn to the illegal market, Garone said. And when they can no longer afford to buy Oxycontin on the street, they end up trying heroin, which is far cheaper, Garone said.
"So, it's a relatively young population of men and women," Garone said. "It crosses all the lines."
Statewide there were 193 drug overdose deaths — with 70 from heroin — recorded in 2013, according to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.
"Over the past three years, heroin deaths have been trending sharply upward," said Kim Fallon, chief forensic investigator with the Medical Examiner.
In 2012 in Rockingham County, there were 34 drug overdose deaths, with six from heroin, she said.
Councilor Joshua Bourdon said he heard Vermont Gov. Peter Shumlin speak over the weekend on the heroin crisis there.
"They are the ones prescribing it," she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 11
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Chester deputy fire chief jailed for allegedly violating restraining order - 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it