Home » News » Public Safety
Heroin, other drug overdoses alarm community
Five people have died from drug overdoses in Derry since January, with four of the deaths blamed on heroin, police said.
Also since January, there were 16 drug overdoses in Derry, with 12 from heroin, Garone said.
In some cases, people who were prescribed a drug such as Oxycontin to treat pain become addicted. When they can no longer receive refills, they turn to the illegal market, Garone said. And when they can no longer afford to buy Oxycontin on the street, they end up trying heroin, which is far cheaper, Garone said.
"So, it's a relatively young population of men and women," Garone said. "It crosses all the lines."
Statewide there were 193 drug overdose deaths — with 70 from heroin — recorded in 2013, according to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.
"Over the past three years, heroin deaths have been trending sharply upward," said Kim Fallon, chief forensic investigator with the Medical Examiner.
In 2012 in Rockingham County, there were 34 drug overdose deaths, with six from heroin, she said.
Councilor Joshua Bourdon said he heard Vermont Gov. Peter Shumlin speak over the weekend on the heroin crisis there.
"They are the ones prescribing it," she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
- Bruins agree to long-term agreement with Providence - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate