Home » News » Public Safety
Four injured in multi-vehicle crash in Chesterfield
Around 10:10 a.m. Chesterfield police and the Spofford Fire and Rescue Department responded to a report of a four vehicle accident on Route 9 between Howard’s Leather and Route 9a. The initial report said there was entrapment and injuries, according to Chesterfield police Lt. Duane Chickering.
So far the investigation has revealed Eric Onan, 30, of Southfield, Michigan, driving a 2013 Hyundai sedan eastbound on Route 9 apparently fell asleep and drifted into the westbound travel lane.
Richard Wesley, 58, of Troy was driving a 2004 Jeep Liberty west on Route 9 and observed Onan’s vehicle swerve into his lane.
Wesley took evasive action and drove into the breakdown lane. Onan’s vehicle sideswiped Wesley’s Jeep, however, causing him to spin 180 degrees in the westbound travel lane.
Onan’s Hyundai continued in the westbound lane where it struck a 2006 Honda Civic driven by Valerie Gero, 22, of Putney, Vermont, causing Gero to lose control of the Honda, which then skidded across the eastbound lane and came to a rest in the ditch on the south side of Route 9.
Onan continued east in the westbound lane coming to final rest after hitting a light pole head-on at the intersection of Route 9 and Route 9a.
The light pole fell over blocking traffic on Route 9a.
PSNH was called to the scene due to live wires on the ground. PSNH workers immediately shut off the power to the light pole so police could continue with the accident investigation.
A debris field involving all three vehicles consisted of approximately a quarter of a mile on Route 9.
Soon after rescue units arrived, a second motor vehicle accident, caused by the roadway debris, was called in approximately 300 yards east of this accident scene.
It was reported that there were at least 4 injured in this two-vehicle accident. There was entrapment at this accident scene and the Jaws of Life were requested. Additional ambulances and rescue units were dispatched from Vermont and New Hampshire.
New Hampshire State Police are investigating the second traffic accident.
Chickering had no further information on the accident, the extent of their injuries, or know where all the patients were transported.
He is asking anyone who witnessed this accident or has information pertaining to this accident to call him at (603) 363-4233 ext. 62.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Group raising money for family of Raymond man killed by boulder - 0
- Newly renovated Blair Covered Bridge damaged by truck - 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 15
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test